COVID World: Mum couldn’t see her new baby for months while she cared for toddler with cancer alone in hospital

This NHS cult needs to go; they keep saying that every decision they’re making is for the “sake of the patient” – which is complete BS. Common sense never prevails, this is a kid whose dealing with cancer and on the verge of dying – you leave a poor mother to deal with the news that her son has died only to wait for the father to arrive later to learn that his son has passed.

I keep being told “save the country, save the culture” – I beg your pardon, what culture are you talking about? This is a culture of death that we insist on keeping.

Full article post via website site below…

Any mother would want to be at their child’s side if they were diagnosed with a life-threatening illness.

But what if that illness – and the global pandemic – meant you had to be apart from your new baby for months, fearing that they might even forget you?

Sadly, it was a nightmare that became a reality for Amy Ramsey, from Canary Wharf, and her partner Ozzy when their son Dillan was diagnosed with leukaemia in May 2020, three months before his second birthday.

Dillan was incredibly poorly – 95 per cent of his blood was filled with cancer – but only one of his parents was allowed to stay with him while he was treated. It meant that Amy effectively had to spend months apart from her four-month-old daughter Aiyla.

‘They said that his dad had to leave’

Dillan was first diagnosed at A&E at the Royal London Hospital, where he was taken after an urgent referral from his GP. Due to Covid restrictions, only one parent was able to accompany him, meaning Amy had to sit, wait, and deal with the dreadful news by herself.

“It’s quite traumatic seeing your baby have cannulas put in for the first time, especially when, to be honest, we thought we’d be sent home with antibiotics, we didn’t think it would be anything serious,” Amy, 34, said.

At about 10.30pm, after being at A&E for more than eight hours, Amy was told to call Dillan’s dad in so that the doctors could speak to them.

Amy said: “They let his dad in to tell us that he had leukaemia, and that there was an ambulance outside waiting to take him to Great Ormond Street.

“They let Dillan’s dad stay with us that night, because the professor wanted to talk to us both in the morning. After the professor had confirmed that he had leukaemia, that it was going to be a three-and-a-half-year treatment, they said that his dad had to leave and can’t come to visit.

“It would just be me and Dillan.

“At the time, my daughter was only four months old – I’d just had a baby but I wasn’t allowed to see her, she wasn’t allowed in, nobody was allowed in.”

Amy explained that Great Ormond Street’s rules stipulated that parents could swap over during their child’s time in hospital, but it had to be at seven day intervals.

However, Ozzy is self-employed, meaning he couldn’t take seven days off work or the family wouldn’t be able to pay their rent, and working remotely from the hospital wasn’t an option.

“It was just me and Dillan from May to July, without seeing anybody else, which was awful,” Amy said.

She was able to see her daughter Aiyla a handful of times, but only for two minutes while she grabbed clean clothes from the car. Most of the times she saw her she was sleeping.

Dillan also hadn’t seen his dad for two months while going through an incredibly difficult treatment. Being under two years old, he didn’t understand why he couldn’t see his dad.

Amy described the awful ordeal that Dillan had to go through, and she had to watch on her own.

“He was going under anaesthetic and into surgery once a week, he was losing his hair, he couldn’t walk – there was just so much going on, and you’ve got to sit and experience the most horrific moment of your life on your own.

“As if it’s not horrific enough.”

‘I’ve spent half of her life without her’

Amy went into what she described as ‘mum auto-pilot mode’ when she realised she would have to stay with Dillan by herself, but she became worried that Aiyla would forget her.

“You almost turn into an oncology nurse, because there’s so much to learn and so much to do,” she explained.

“One of the main issues for me was thinking that my daughter would forget me. She was so young when I first went, I’ve probably spent half of her life without her now.

“I remember I had a call from the health visitor a couple of months ago, and they were asking me all these questions about her for her 12-months check, and I couldn’t answer them.

“It was just heartbreaking for me. I didn’t know what her routine was, I didn’t know what she was doing, what she wasn’t doing.

“I missed her crawling for the first time, missed her first tooth.”

Dillan’s mum has seen things that she will never forget while in hospital with him. Seeing her little boy go through all sorts of treatments, witnessing grieving parents mourn their child – all too aware of the added pain of one parent not being able to see them.